To have a very good Model Railway Layout Design, you need to plan on what theme you want to use regardless of what size your model will be.
Here are some examples that you may want to use:
- A logging layout with freight locos moving small chunks of wood to lumber distributors, paper mills, or furniture stores and shay locomotives carrying logs to sawmills from the camp of forest logging.
- Coal mining trains that carries coal through the Mountains from the mines to steel mills and power companies to power industrial and residential areas.
- A train that transport eggs and milk from farms to local market.
- Passenger trains that transport people from their house to the workplace, shopping areas, towns and cities.
- Trains that carry wheat, corns, and rice to the mills and stores.
- Trains that carry cars or motorcycles to the local automotive distributors.
Themes give your model a sense of reality and purpose so that you will not get bored.